Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Essential Super 8 Books?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member pcg's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2000
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What does everyone recommend for essential texts on Super 8 techniques? I have Lipman's Super 8, and his Independent Filmmaking on order. Are there other key books, particularly how-to books that I'm missing?

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner MikeBrantley's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You're on the right track with the Lipton books. I sure wish those were still in print and easier to find!

    Also...

    SUPER 8 IN THE VIDEO AGE
    By Bob Brodsky and Toni Treadway
    3rd edition; 118 pp.; illustrated

    Order direct from the authors for $21 postage paid:

    Brodsky & Treadway
    P.O. Box 335
    69 Warehouse Lane
    Rowley, MA 01969
    Phone: (978) 948-7985

  3. #3
    Inactive Member pcg's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2000
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks to both of you for the quick replies. By the way, I found the Lipton books via Amazon through their used book dealer network. Cost for each was $15-20, & there were several copies of each. I'll go after the other two shortly.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member capulet8's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2000
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Though it's not devoted to only super 8, I find David Cheshire's The Book of Movie Photography to be extremely comprehensive. With 850 ilustrations, it's definitely oriented towards the visual learner. I bought my copy from powells.com for $20. Good luck!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The third edition of SUPER 8 IN THE VIDEO AGE By Bob Brodsky and Toni Treadway was originally written in 1983. A lot of the material in it is obsolete since it deals with super 8 sound film which Kodak has discontinued. I have heard they are working on a fourth edition which will address this. Write and ask if the fourth edition is out before buying.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Try the ASC Manual--it is not designed for Super8 but it covers all you need for film. I am never on a set with out it. It is also what got me shooting--I had it with me when I was an AC too. There is also the Filmaker's Handbook, this cover everything and is a good overall book. Good Luck

  7. #7
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    THE FILMMAKERS HANDBOOK, a comprehensive guide
    for the digital age, by: Steven Ascher & Edward Pincus.
    Published by Plume.
    A great book on "film" production and electronic
    post production. Covers sound, and a host of
    other subjects. A goldmine for the super8
    filmmaker.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member pcg's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2000
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank's again to all for suggestions. I spent some time on the web looking for most of these books, & the best source, bar all, is www.abe.com. This site is a source site for linked used book sellers all over the world. I found multiple copies of every book at wide price ranges. I'd suggest scanning them before picking up anything. A great source!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •